March 9, 2014
Lenten Adult Forum – Responding to interest expressed in the RenewalWorks survey, St. George’s adult forum will explore aids for the spiritual life on Sunday mornings in Lent with a series designed to support us as we strive to grow in faith and discipleship. Please join us at 9:10 am in the parish hall. The topics and presenters are:
- March 9: Tools for Prayer — Marilynn Belleville, Michelle Ziegler and Dave Lavely will share practical prayer methods and lessons from their own prayer lives.
- March 16: Almsgiving — The Rev. Ron Neustadt, retired pastor of St. Mark Lutheran Church and much loved among many at St. George’s, will explore acts of compassion as a means of spiritual growth.
- March 23: Healing Prayer — Parishioners from St. George’s chapter of the Order of St. Luke will share the importance and impact of healing prayer.
- March 30: The Holy Eucharist — Deacon Jody Coleman will discuss the centrality of the Eucharist in our spiritual lives.
- April 6: Spiritual Direction — The Rev. Gwynne Schultz, a pastor in the United Church of Christ with nearly two decades’ experience in training spiritual directors, will discuss the value of spiritual companions in hearing God’s voice in our lives.
- April 13: Study and the Renewing of Our Minds — Bishop Ed Salmon, retired bishop of the Diocese of South Carolina, will explore the essential role of studying the Bible and other reliable spiritual writings in our faith development.
Lenten Soup Supper Series – Interfaith exploration of women in ministry. The role of women in Islam, Judaism, Christian Orthodoxy, the Catholic Church and our own Episcopal tradition will be the topic of the annual Thursday evening Lenten Soup Supper programs this spring. This interfaith series will feature two area professors, two Episcopal clergywomen, a Roman Catholic nun, and an Orthodox laywoman. The schedule is:
- March 13: Sr. Jan Renz, ASC, Women’s Ministries in Roman Catholicism
- March 20: Professor Nancy Berg, Washington University, Exercising Gifts for Ministry in Judaism
- March 27: Professor Gulten Ilhan, St. Louis Community College-Meramec, Women in Islam
- April 3: Didi Kafka, Women’s Roles and Ministry in Christian Orthodoxy
- April 10: the Rev. Suzanne Wolfenbarger and the Rev. Deacon Jody Coleman, Women’s Ministries in the Episcopal Church
As in past years, a simple soup supper at 6:00 pm will precede the presentations at 7:00 pm. Please sign-up up to bring your favorite soup, breads or relishes – a sheet is posted in the parish hall. A freewill offering will be taken. Child Care will be provided during our Soup Supper Series.
Daily Devotions for Lent, Christ Our Hope by Henri Nouwen, are available in the Canterbury Room. Please take one.
Stations of the Cross – St. Mark Lutheran, St. Luke’s Roman Catholic, and St. George’s Episcopal churches join together to pray the Stations of the Cross each Friday in Lent at 12:10 pm. This year we meet at St. Luke’s. Everyone is welcome.
St. Mark’s Youth Group is holding their annual Trivia Night on Saturday, March 15. Cost is $15 per person, and tables hold 8 people. Contact Diane Martens at 696-8613 to reserve a spot.