March 16, 2014
The Lenten Adult Forum continues to explore Aids for the Spiritual Life on Sunday mornings at 9:10 am in the parish hall. Please join us to hear these interesting presenters:
Today’s Speaker – “Almsgiving: The Difference Between Guilt and Joy”. The Rev. Ron Neustadt, retired pastor of St. Mark Lutheran Church and much loved among many at St. George’s, will explore acts of compassion as a means of spiritual growth.
- March 23: Healing Prayer — Parishioners from St. George’s chapter of the Order of St. Luke will share the importance and impact of healing prayer.
- March 30: The Holy Eucharist — Deacon Jody Coleman will discuss the centrality of the Eucharist in our spiritual lives.
- April 6: Spiritual Direction — The Rev. Gwynne Schultz, a pastor in the United Church of Christ with nearly two decades’ experience in training spiritual directors, will discuss the value of spiritual companions in hearing God’s voice in our lives.
- April 13: Study and the Renewing of Our Minds — Bishop Ed Salmon, retired bishop of the Diocese of South Carolina, will explore the essential role of studying the Bible and other reliable spiritual writings in our faith development.
If you are interested in being confirmed or received when Bishop Martins visits on May 11, please speak to Fr. Dale or Deacon Jody immediately – we will need to arrange classes!
Daily Devotions for Lent, Christ Our Hope by Henri Nouwen, are available in the Canterbury Room. Please take one.
Lenten Soup Supper Series – Join us in learning about the role of women in Islam, Judaism, Christian Orthodoxy, the Catholic Church, and our own Episcopal tradition each Thursday evening in Lent. We begin with a simple soup supper at 6:00 pm followed by the presentations at 7:00 pm. Please sign-up up to bring your favorite soup, breads or relishes – a sheet is posted in the parish hall. A freewill offering will be taken. Child care will be provided during the presentations.
- March 20: Professor Nancy Berg, Washington University, Exercising Gifts for Ministry in Judaism
- March 27: Professor Gulten Ilhan, St. Louis Community College-Meramec, Women in Islam
- April 3: Didi Kafka, Women’s Roles and Ministry in Christian Orthodoxy
- April 10: the Rev. Suzanne Wolfenbarger and the Rev. Deacon Jody Coleman, Women’s Ministries in the Episcopal Church
Stations of the Cross – St. Mark Lutheran, St. Luke’s Roman Catholic, and St. George’s Episcopal churches join together to pray the Stations of the Cross each Friday in Lent at 12:10 pm. This year we meet at St. Luke’s. Everyone is welcome.
Parish Work Day – We will need to cleanup our grounds before Easter, so get your rakes, clippers, shovels, etc. ready and look for an announcment about a Saturday work day soon!
Does anyone know where our computer projector is? Please tell Deacon Jody!
We don’t have altar flowers during Lent, but you can still reserve your Sunday on the Flower Calendar in the parish hall for dates during the rest of the year. Flowers cost $40 each Sunday, and two people can share a date if they wish. Available dates include May 18 & 25 and June 1!